Friday, October 15, 2010

Apple Cobbler-The Easiest Eva

We picked about 10lbs of apples when we went apple picking recently. Good thing is that apples last forever, especially when they are a little unripe, which ours were.

I made a batch of apple sauce to freeze, gave a few away, froze some cubed up for later use and STILL had about 10 left over. We tried to eat a few but each one I peeled was just too unripe to eat.

So I scurried to find recipes to use up the last few. I found this one in an old cook book I had and I had all the ingredients on hand so we tried it for dessert tonight, it was delish! I can't wait to have some for breakfast in the morning!

~Crunchy Cobbler~
This can be used as a recipe for any fruit cobbler, peaches, blueberries, etc.
I of course used apples. :p


3-4 cups fresh fruit or pie filling (two large apples or 3 small,peeled and sliced)
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I used juice of one fresh lemon)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger (I used fresh minced ginger b/c it's what I had, but I'm sure this means powdered)

Place fruit into 7x11 inch baking dish. (I have no idea what size I used, I just found one that looked like it would work and it did! ha!)

Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger. Mix it all so that apples are covered evenly.

If you need add a light sprinkling of brown sugar (or regular) to sweeten the apples if they are very tart.

For crust mix flour, sugar, egg and vanilla until lumpy. spread over fruit. Drizzle melted butter over top and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 until browned and bubbly... (Mine took more like 40 minutes).

Serve w/ Vanilla or Caramel ice cream! mmmm.

So So good and so easy, it really took like 10 minutes to prepare.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

here's some notes after making this a few times. DO NOT leave out the ginger. even if you think you don't like it, i swear it makes it so good. also don't sweeten the apples with extra sugar like i suggested. i've done this a few times and it ends up too sweet. we never finish it when i add extra sugar but when i leave it out it gets all eaten. don't skip on the lemon either. it really makes the dish.