Friday, December 2, 2011

Eat Your Veggies

This is one of our favorite meals. Especially Emery's, it is a Publix Green Apron recipe, called Chicken Fried Rice. I swear I have made this 100 times since I found it.

 I posted the recipe before on here and Ill try and find the link and link it up ASAP.

Emery is a good eater. Not like a super hero, downs all her food and veggies all the time eater, but I would consider her a good eater. I've never or hardly ever had to make her something else than what we were eating. (unless of course I didn't WANT her to have it, like $20.00lb fillets or something) but even then I usually just give her some of mine because I mean who doesn't love a good fillet.

Here are some of my guidelines I try to follow as I learn about feeding little people. I know a lot of people struggle with this issue, some have BIG issues, but I know we have all had our share of stressful meals. All in all though I feel like Emery is a "balanced" eater- which to me is what is most important.

1. I never ever make her eat everything on her plate. I don't want to cause any issues of over eating, and I feel like this is the biggest way this happens, when we are young we are taught to clean our plates.

Toddlers are naturally able to eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full- Adults have forgotten how to do that. Usually distraction is the biggest issue we have, not that she doesn't "like" what we are having, she'd just rather be doing something else than eating. So after she has eaten enough of her plate we tell her to take 2 more bites and she can be done. Sometimes she ends up eating it all, and sometimes she just takes those 2 last bites.

2. I try to focus on the foods she WILL eat and not on the foods she doesn't she isn't big on green beans but she will eat asparagus (go figure) she isn't big on potatoes but she loves rice...she isn't a huge fan of bread for sandwiches but she will eat the meat and cheese so I usually just let her pick it out, if she eats the bread good, if not it's okay.

  2a....Example: my kid LOVES salad. I know, it's totally the dressing but on Weds night when we eat supper at church, if she eats her entire salad I don't stress about the fact that she didn't touch her fried chicken nuggets. She loves salad so heck yeah I let her eat it. If she is hungry when we get home from church, late that night, we have a snack....because let's be honest I'm usually hungry too.

3. We don't have a lot of snacks through out the day. I think a huge issue for alot of people is that their kids just aren't hungry at meal time. She usually has breakfast, a snack at school, Lunch, a nap, a snack after nap and then dinner.

The later we eat dinner the better she eats, always! I try to keep her snacks small and I try not to stress about always trying to find a healthy one. sometimes I have fruit (after pay day) sometimes it is all gone and all I have is crackers.

She isn't a big carb eater during meals so I feel like crackers for her are okay at snack.

4. I never offer her a choice...well, technically...I mean at lunch I may ask her if she wants turkey or peanut butter and jelly, but at dinner she eats what we eat.

She has had some digestion issues so we have started having some Activia yogurt right before bed time. She thinks that is a great treat...haha I don't tell her it's healthy!

5. My pediatrician gave me the best advice about toddler eating, it has made me stress alot less about making sure she eats a perfect meal every time. She told me to look at what your child eats over an entire month. If all they eat is chicken nuggets and mac and cheese there may be a problem, but if there is variations of fruits, veggies, carbs, protein, fats and fiber your child is probably doing okay.

6. When In doubt, let them help. Emery LOVES chili! crazy I know....BUT I let her help me make it. I mean all I do is dump cans of beans and tomatoes in the crock pot, she can do that and then she is so proud when she eats it. My chili has tomatoes, green peppers, corn, pinto beans, white beans, onions, chilis, green peppers and ground deer meat. VERY healthy and hearty. I had cheese on top of hers and some sour cream to cool it down and she cleans her bowl every time. I like mine spicy so I just wait until we eat to add the spice to mine.

7. Every thing in moderation. Just like in our own lives I try to teach her moderation in all things. She gets cookies, candy, junk food, etc. but not all day every day. She would eat ice cream every day if I let her BUT I DON'T! But she does eat ice cream. So sometimes when she ask for that certain treat I say yes, why not? Sometimes I say no....because I'm the mom and that is my job.  

Okay so I hope that helps some stressed out moms. Trust me our meal times are far from perfect! They are some of the most stressful times I have, but like I said it is mainly because she'd rather be doing something else (like bugging her brother) than eating.

No comments: