Thursday, February 28, 2008

Friday Night Lights

Last Friday about 5:30 pm I was awoken from a nap by a phone call. I answered, expecting a telemarketer, but instsead heard Benji asking if my AAA covered his truck as well. I was startled awake, and reluctantly asked why he was asking....

"Well I don't know, but my truck just quit working. I think it might be the transmission.....you're going to have to come and meet me, and bring the phone book....."

I jumped in my car and started off to meet him on the other side of town. Benji has class on Friday nights, so I knew that I would probably have to take him to class. I was thinking on the way to meet him, "seriously, not now!" A transmission was something that we obviously could not replace right now.

While on my way Benji called my mom to inquire more about the benefits of AAA. He also called his dad to let him know that we might need to meet him somewhere in Tennessee to pick up their extra truck so that Benji could have something to drive until we could replace the transmission.

He also had the insight to call our insurance company which actually will cover the price of towing when your car breaks down.

When I arrived I found Benji parked behind some random condos. Not like a whole bunch of condos, but two condos....basically someones drive way.

He used the phone book to call the Chevrolete dealership. He explained to the guy he talked to what happened when the truck stopped running, told him he thought it might be the transmission. The Chevy man said that it would be at least Monday until they could look at it.

He recommended a Towing company... Benji called the tow truck and then we waited for the rescue. We, ....I unloaded all of Benji's stuff into my car and continued to wait, in the cold, dark night for the tow truck.

We finally saw the glowing lights of the tow truck rescue man. Benji waved him into the driveway of the random condos and we anticipated our fate.

I went back to sit in the warmth of my car. I was thinking about all the logistics of how the next few days would work, having to meet family with the spare truck, paying for stuff......when Benji tapped on my window. I rolled it down to see what he wanted...

"uhh....he (tow truck rescue guy) said he thinks I should try maybe putting some gas in it first before we do anything else....."

That's pretty much the end of the story. I drove to the nearest gas station, got some gas, brought it back. Benji filled up the truck, paid the tow truck driver.....

and we were on our way.

Benji missing class= approximately $20. portable gas containers= $13. four gallons of gas= $13. Annual fee for AAA= $40. Tow Truck= $45......Knowing that Benji ran out of gas and called, his dad, my mom, AAA, State Farm, Bauchman Chevrolete, AND a tow truck..... PRICELESS.

1 comment:

Casey said...

so reading this was the hardest kevin and i had laughed all week......you guys are awesome! wanna come over for dinner? :)