If any of you know me well you know that I wear two different pairs of shoes. (not counting my boring work shoes.)
I wear flip flops in the summer, specifically Rainbows, and from about October to March I wear my faithful Uggs. Regardless of your personal opinion on the fashion status of Uggs, if you’ve ever put on a pair you understand the loyalty that I have to them. They are the perfect pair of winter shoes. You don’t wear socks with them, so they are all warm and fuzzy against your toes, even in the snow your feet stay nice and toasty.
This week was a sad week for me as I realized that my BFF Uggs had seen their last days. I first purchased my pair of Uggs during our first trip to Louisville. We visited the campus, looked at apartments, and found the surrounding malls. Upon walking into the Von Maur (a store similar to Nordstroms) I fell in love at first sight. Now I’m not one to believe in love at first sight, unless it pertains to puppies or to shoes.
This one such moment was similar to the first time I ever saw my baby Vance. I saw that pair of Uggs and knew I was not leaving Louisville without them. This was before the Ugg craze hit America, at this point they were still only sold in places were the weather was conducive to wool lined boots. I purchased a pair, took them back to South Carolina, (where we lived at the time) and they sat on the shelf until we moved to Louisville that August.
Since that fall I have rarely worn another pair of shoes from Fall to Spring. My Uggs have seen me through seven semesters of Southern Seminary. They have traveled to places some could only dream of visiting. Alas, this week I realized that they had taken their last steps…..
Maybe it’s because I’m getting old, maybe out of shape, or perhaps because I’m pregnant and my joints are doing crazy things….but now when I wear my beloved Uggs my hip feels like it has a power drill pulsating into it.
I’ve heard that shoes have a “running” life of about six months to a year until the support wears out. Well my BFF have been working overtime for four years.
So if you think about me today save a moment of silence for my beloved BFF Uggs.
No comments:
Post a Comment