If you've known me for long you know I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I love it because I get to keep in touch with dear friends from college and high school, see pictures of their kids and keep up with their lives. I hate it because I get lax/naive/stupid whatever with people that I add as friends who don't really know me. We have lived in so many places and traveled so much we have "friends" from all over the world that I love to keep in touch with. Of course that wouldn't be possible without Facebook, so I am grateful for parts of it.
Benji and I are in a unique situation that not all people find them selves in. I hate it but how I am perceived online, on the surface by people who don't really know my heart, my struggles, my weaknesses and fears, they can and do judge me and my family by things I may say.
With that Benji would love if I cut all ties with the "online" world but I just can not do it completely.
And his point is valid. I am a person who tends to over share info because I just need to "get it out". I hate stuffing feelings down, I don't believe it's healthy, but I realize Facebook is not the best avenue for that, it has become the most convenient way though.
So I am slowly transitioning myself away from Facebook and over to Twitter and Instagram. I'll still keep my Facebook and still be on it, but I am having to be very limited in who I am "friends" with on Facebook. I have to honor my husband and protect my family. Our line of work keeps us in the public eye so much that it sometimes makes me paranoid and so Facebook has become more of a stressor in my life than a fun way to connect.
I have cut my friends list from 1, 070ish down to 660ish.... I SWEAR non of it was personal or vindictive. I just have to keep the list including just my friends I interact with on a daily basis (here in Greenville), family, friends from high school, friends from college, dear best friends I don't live around anymore, and of course just friends that I have grown to love and enjoy interacting with on Facebook.
I hate that it has come to this but it is the only way to control a situation that I felt was rapidly getting out of control.
Feel free to find me on Twitter and on Instagram.
No comments:
Post a Comment