Saturday, March 7, 2009

There Is A Fountain

Sorry for all you religious folks who just read my title and thought this would be a post about the atonement.....

It's not.

It's about fountain drinks.

I have a problem. I realize that this post proves that I am truly a spoiled rotten American, but I make no apologies for it.

I am slightly addicted to Diet Coke. Not as bad as I am to coffee. But almost.

I like my Coke really really cold.

Those people who order their drinks with no ice confuse and worry me.

Since I like my Diet Coke ice cold I prefer it from a fountain machine with extra ice. BUT!.....

I am extremely picky about my fountain machines. And rarely is the ratio of syrup to carbonation correct in many fountain machines.

Like recently we were at Subway. We never get the meal deal thingy....but this day we did. I got my drink and realized the Diet Coke was flat!!! oh the horror!

This could not be!

I promptly (but nicely) told the manager about the situation. He came over to test the Coke.

He said it tasted fine to him. WHAAAAAAT!

I tried not to make a scene. You know because Benji's a staff member at our church and there were church members in the Subway.

I didn't want to be known as the "crazy youth pastor's wife"....

But this was serious.

As we were walking out with our flat Cokes the manager told Benji, "I guess you can grab one of the bottles of Coke if you want."

Benji, being the meek and gentle man that he is said, "no thanks, we are fine."

Uhh. No we are not.

I ran back to the counter and grabbed my bottle of Diet Coke. The ratio of carbonation and syrup is standard in the bottles just for people like me.

That was a close one.

I don't eat much fast food. But I do like to get fountain drinks from a drive in occasionally. I was driving back from Gainesville last week and got a Diet Coke from McDonald's.

When I took a drink of it it tasted like Diet Coke and Sprite together. gross.

Today at the gas station I decided I would try something new and buy a bottled Diet Coke and a cup of ice.

The ice was dirty..... like real dirty. I kept getting more out, thinking it may have just been a few pieces. nope. it was just dirty ice. gross. gross.

So I wait. And search for the perfect fountain machine. One day....

One day.

2 comments:

Diana Oedy said...

This post cracked me up!! Mainly because I am the EXACT same way, and Josh thinks I am crazy. Your subway story completely reminded me of Josh and I. I love fountain drinks and often go to a fast food place just to get one. I think McDonalds has the BEST coke, and I also like a lot of ice. Funny post, and also, I did at first think it was a religious post-haha!! Hope you guys are doing well!!

Dana said...

They say that the best cokes/fountain drinks were the ones that the actual "soda jerks" made in the early 20th century...you know, when coke had cocaine in it. Somehow the jerks knew the best syrup/soda water ratio. When I crave a coke or a sprite it is the absolute best out of a bottle - sooooo good!