My life has changed completely in the past 4 months. I have to say that I am having the best time of my life. I've heard people say before that life doesn't really begin until you have children, I would have to agree. I have never been as happy and fulfilled as a human as I am when Emery smiles at me.
That's all it takes is her smile. I know that my life finally counts for something. Benji and I want a few more children, so I know that I will be spending the next few years of my life primarily being a mom.......
Here is the issue: Most of you know that I graduated in May with my Master of Divinity from the school of Theology at Southern Seminary. I spent 4 years, 94 credit hours, 2 semesters of Greek, 2 semesters of Hebrew........ I'm not trying to impress anyone, just trying to make it clear that it was a lot of hard work. I shed a lot of tears and pulled many all nighters......
Benji graduated with the same degree and is now a high school youth pastor. I am staying at home with Emery. Which is what I WANT to do. I went to school knowing that I would stay at home with our children.
I went to seminary because I wanted to learn. I wanted to be immersed in the Word of God. I wanted to study the history of our Christian fathers and learn the original language that the Scriptures were written in.
Isn't education it's OWN reward? Do we educate ourselves for the sole purpose of making an income?
So why is it that I am constantly being asked, "so, what are you going to do with your degree?" (if you've asked me this don't take this blog personally, TONS of people have asked).
I am tired of feeling like I have to defend my decision to go to school and then to stay at home.
I went to school because I wanted to and I am staying home because I want to. It's that simple.
Besides, next week I'm gonna start teaching Emery how to memorize the Westminster Confession.
2 comments:
Too funny girl! (Westminster Confession)...I have no idea what that is, but it sounds impressive! So, I could not read this blog without commenting! (Hope it's not unwanted.) First of all, you should be applauded for all of your accomplishments...your endurance is amazing. NOW, you are in a stage of life that IS a ministry. A very wise lady once told me that my family was my number ONE ministry...and what an awesome one I have! This stage will pass quicker than you would like and then you will still be well equip to serve the Lord (outside of the home) in whatever capacity he calls you to. You are amazing girlie...enjoy every minute! Love you! K
That is exactly how I feel. That was my point! :)
My family is my number one ministry. I am just constantly having to defend myself about wanting to stay home and have an education at the same time.
Funny thing is most of the comments come from people in the Christian community, who I would have thought would be supportive of my choice.
Kristen, Ive always looked up to you as such a great mom! YOU and Josh have done so much, I have always thought that YOUR endurance was amazing! Anyone can endure school, it takes a whole lot more to move your entire family across the ocean! :)
Ive been waiting my whole life for this time and Im going to enjoy it!
(I really wasnt looking for applause.....I just had to make a point.)
Post a Comment